Rain's End
Just a little bit about my art and life in general....
______________________________________________

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nothing like a cold to ruin a day...

I knew that I would eventually come down with a cold. The kids have been bringing home all sorts of fun little colds to share amongst themselves. I really want to go outside and enjoy the warm weather we are having but I feel pretty miserable.

We have two new additions to our crowded house -- a pair of zebra finches. They and five other birds were abandoned at the local hardware store. I suppose that the owner planned on trying to give them to the nearby pet store but they could not take them due to quarantine issues. He asked an employee at the hardware store for some water for them and while that employee was getting the water he took off leaving the birds behind. My friend happened to stop in the store for paint and agreed to take them home. Before we were married and later before we had kids we had quite a few little birds like this so it wasn't difficult to convince me to bring a few home. They are noisy little ones though!

This is what I have been working on this morning. Another pair of wedding birds


and this colorful rooster.

3 comments:

Federica said...

Hi!
Your creations are wonderful, the newlywed birds are sooooooooo cute!!

Bonny (Bonny Jewelry) said...

We used to have parakeets (pre-dog) and I loved them - one used to fly to my shoulder and eat there. So sad about them being abandoned but at least they are getting good homes! Love the new birds BTW (the rooster is cracking me up!)

Rain's End said...

Thank you Federica and Bonny! I had a parakeet that loved to fall asleep in my hands as I rubbed his tiny neck. I had to put him back in the cage with his feathers all sweaty. I've never seen another parakeet so gentle and affectionate. The others we have had have been less tame and would even bite a bit too. I just needle felted the finches a little wool nest. I used the white wool so the children could see the birds better. They would be pretty well hidden in the brown nest.